MK-677 (also known as ibutamoren), promotes the secretion of the growth hormone (GH) and increases insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). Ibutamoren increases growth hormone levels by mimicking the action of the hormone ghrelin and binding to one of the ghrelin receptors (GHSR) in the brain. Activated GHSR stimulates growth hormone release from the brain. Clinical studies describe only the effects ibutamoren has on appetite and as expected, like ghrelin, ibutamoren increases it. GHSR is found in brain regions that control appetite, pleasure, mood, biological rhythms, memory, and cognition. Therefore, we can expect that ibutamoren may also affect these functions. It increases growth hormone levels with little or no increase in other hormones, such as cortisol. Cortisol suppresses the immune system, reduces wound healing, and impairs learning and memory, and it’s usually not good to have this hormone elevated.
Benefits of MK-677:
Helps Build Muscles: Ibutamoren is frequently used as an anabolic substance, to increase lean body mass. It is orally active and can be taken once a day. MK-677 stimulates Growth Hormone and IGF-1 which each factor in significantly to maintaining lean body mass. Growth Hormone is believed by many to stimulate an increase in muscle size and strength and the ability of MK-677 to increase Growth Hormone production make it a popular choice.
One study that studied 60-year-olds indicated that injections to stimulate Growth Hormones led to increased strength in thigh muscles. When it comes to MK-677 stimulating muscle growth, its results will vary by person depending on their exercise regimen and if they have any health conditions.
In another study of 24 obese men, a two-month treatment with ibutamoren increased lean mass, and transiently increased basal metabolic rate (BMR)
Reduces Muscle Wasting: MK-677 has shown in recent studies to alleviate muscle wasting that can be caused by a decline in protein within an individual’s diet. In one study a group of healthy young adults were tested to determine if MK-677 could reverse protein catabolism and the results proved to be quite positive. As a result, MK-677 is theorized to be possibly being an effective treatment for individuals who suffer from catabolic conditions.
Increases Bone Density: Several studies have indicated that long-term use of MK-677 can have tremendous results to increase bone mineral density. This finding can benefit several populations including obese individuals, older adults, and women with menopause. These distinct populations can have detrimental health problems due to low bone mineral density and MK-677 has proven to be an effective treatment for many of them.
In 24 healthy obese male volunteers, ibutamoren increased bone turnover.
In 187 elderly adults (65 years or older), ibutamoren increased bone building, as measured by osteocalcin, a marker of bone turnover in multiple studies.
In one study with 292 post-menopausal women, ibutamoren increased bone mineral density, which helps increase bone strength and prevent osteoporosis.
The groups of people who serve to benefit by MK-677’s ability to increase bone density must research the possibility of any long-term side effects since increases in bone density typically take more than a year’s use.
Improves Sleep: Since Growth Hormone is known to help improve sleep quality, it is commonly thought that Ibutamoren Mesylate can assist with sleep quality since it stimulates production in Growth Hormone.
A study showed that in both younger and elderly subjects, ibutamoren improved sleep quality and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep duration.
Apart from scientific studies, there have been many reports of subjective improvements in sleep quality.
Combats Aging and May Increase Longevity: As seen with other hormones in the body, Growth Hormone naturally begins a steady decline once a certain age is hit. Individuals who are aging can benefit from taking MK 677 since Growth Hormone and IGF-1 will be increased in the body among its consumption. Aging individuals who take MK 677 can improve their overall hormone profiles as they give their declining GH levels (Growth Hormone levels) a boost.
In a study with 65 elderly men and women, daily ibutamoren increased GH and IGF-1 levels to those of healthy young adults without serious adverse effects.
In another study with 24 obese males, ibutamoren rejuvenated the growth hormone profile.
May Have Nootropic Effects: Since MK-677 shares a lot of similar qualities to Ghrelin and binds to its receptors, it is believed that MK 677 can have the same effects on the brain that Ghrelin has.
However, there are no studies that confirm whether or not MK 677 has direct nootropic effects on the brain. Scientists do have hope though that a couple of noticeable indirect methods may explain how MK 677 can be of assistance to cognitive function. Looking back at the previous section, one method that shows promise is Ibutamoren’s ability to improve sleep quality by increasing REM sleep. Obtaining the proper amount of sleep each night is extremely important when trying to achieve adequate cognitive function. MK-677 can improve cognitive function by assisting individuals with the ability to get a good night’s rest. The ability of MK-677 to stimulate IGF-1 production can also indirectly improve cognitive function based on IGF-1’s role in cognitive function. One study indicated that IGF-1 positively affected participants’ ability to perform well on cognitive tests. We know that sleep is essential for good cognitive function.
Beneficial in Treating Growth Hormone Deficiency: Ibutamoren can increase growth hormone, IGF-1, and IGFBP-3 levels in children with growth hormone deficiency. Furthermore, these effects are achieved without changing the concentrations of prolactin, glucose, triiodothyronine (T3), thyroxine (T4), thyrotropin, cortisol or insulin.
In severely GH-deficient men, ibutamoren increased IGF-1 and growth hormone, with no significant changes in cortisol, PRL, and thyroid hormone levels. However, insulin and glucose were increased.
Overall, MK 677 has not produced very many side effects for its users to be concerned about, but certain populations may have certain side effects to look out for. Individuals who are vulnerable to insulin sensitivity or who have Diabetes may be at risk when taking MK-677. Symptoms associated with these conditions could possibly be exacerbated by the use of MK 677. As with any other compound, correct dosing and usage of MK-677 is the key. In studies that looked at how MK-677 increases muscle mass, the dosage was key. Side effects of MK-677 are usually the result of a handful of two things: improper dosage and extended use.
Reported side effects of MK-677 are typically the result of unnaturally high levels of growth hormone in the body from taking too much too often which are:
- Increased appetite
- Joint pain if you have previous medical conditions or elevated hormone levels
- Insulin resistance
- Possible increase in prolactin levels, which can be controlled
But when dosed properly, the side effects of MK-677 are minimal to none compared to the results you get from taking it properly. The results from using MK-677 are evident in just a couple of days and with proper dosing and stacking, include:
it has shown to provide numerous health benefits for individuals with certain conditions. Those with low bone density, have trouble sleeping at night, and with catabolic conditions can all benefit greatly from the use of MK 677. The ability of the MK 677 secretagogue to effectively secrete Growth Hormone and IGF-1 proves to be a useful tool for many different populations. MK 677 has shown through numerous studies to benefit the elderly, those with obesity, have problems sleeping, have low bone density, and others. For these populations, MK 677 can be used as a helpful tool to combat issues that can be caused in large part due to a lack of Growth Hormone and IGF-1.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Feb;83(2):320-5. MK-677, an orally active growth hormone secretagogue, reverses diet-induced catabolism. Murphy MG1, Plunkett LM, Gertz BJ, He W, Wittreich J, Polvino WM, Clemmons DR
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Dec;81(12):4249-57. Stimulation of the growth hormone (GH)-insulin-like growth factor I axis by daily oral administration of a GH secretogogue (MK-677) in healthy elderly subjects. Chapman IM1, Bach MA, Van Cauter E, Farmer M, Krupa D, Taylor AM, Schilling LM, Cole KY, Skiles EH, Pezzoli SS, Hartman ML, Veldhuis JD, Gormley GJ, Thorner MO.
- MK-677, an Orally Active Growth Hormone Secretagogue, Reverses Diet-Induced Catabolism. M. G. Murphy L. M. Plunkett B. J. Gertz W. He J. Wittreich W. M. PolvinoD. R. Clemmons. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 83, Issue 2, 1 February 1998, Pages 320–325
- Neuroendocrinology. 1997 Oct;66(4):278-86. Prolonged oral treatment with MK-677, a novel growth hormone secretagogue, improves sleep quality in man. Copinschi G1, Leproult R, Van Onderbergen A, Caufriez A, Cole KY, Schilling LM, Mendel CM, De Lepeleire I, Bolognese JA, Van Cauter E.
- Br J Pharmacol. 2008 Jun; 154(3): 557–568. Regulation of muscle mass by growth hormone and IGF-I. C P Velloso
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Feb;83(2):362-9. Two-month treatment of obese subjects with the oral growth hormone (GH) secretagogue MK-677 increases GH secretion, fat-free mass, and energy expenditure. Svensson J1, Lönn L, Jansson JO, Murphy G, Wyss D, Krupa D, Cerchio K, Polvino W, Gertz B, Boseaus I, Sjöström L, Bengtsson BA
- J Bone Miner Res. 1998 Jul;13(7):1158-66. Treatment with the oral growth hormone secretagogue MK-677 increases markers of bone formation and bone resorption in obese young males. Svensson J1, Ohlsson C, Jansson JO, Murphy G, Wyss D, Krupa D, Cerchio K, Polvino W, Gertz B, Baylink D, Mohan S, Bengtsson BA
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Mar;86(3):1116-25. Effect of alendronate and MK-677 (a growth hormone secretagogue), individually and in combination, on markers of bone turnover and bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporotic women. Murphy MG1, Weiss S, McClung M, Schnitzer T, Cerchio K, Connor J, Krupa D, Gertz BJ; MK-677/Alendronate Study Group
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Feb;84(2):471-5. Insulin-like growth factor-I and cognitive function in healthy older men. Aleman A1, Verhaar HJ, De Haan EH, De Vries WR, Samson MM, Drent ML, Van der Veen EA, Koppeschaar HP
- Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2001 Jul;70(1):91-8. Effects of oral administration of ibutamoren mesylate, a nonpeptide growth hormone secretagogue, on the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor I axis in growth hormone-deficient children. Codner E1, Cassorla F, Tiulpakov AN, Mericq MV, Avila A, Pescovitz OH, Svensson J, Cerchio K, Krupa D, Gertz BJ, Murphy G.
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Oct;82(10):3455-63. Oral administration of growth hormone (GH) releasing peptide-mimetic MK-677 stimulates the GH/insulin-like growth factor-I axis in selected GH-deficient adults. Chapman IM1, Pescovitz OH, Murphy G, Treep T, Cerchio KA, Krupa D, Gertz B, Polvino WJ, Skiles EH, Pezzoli SS, Thorner MO
Courtesy of: https://www.transformyouaz.com
Dr Dubroff was able to get me out of pain after an inflammatory flare-up after PRP by another doc. Thank you for your experience and recommendations.